This past weekend, my daughter moved into her first home. I thought I would share some of my favorite advice with her, and any of you that have moved recently, are planning to move, or making any updates to your home. Enjoy!
* Do not expect to be unpacked and ‘House Beautiful’ in a few days. Making a home yours takes time!
* Do not run out and buy ‘stuff’ just to fill your rooms. That is a big waste of money and you might end up purchasing items that you will tire of quickly.
* Spend money wisely on large furnishings. For example, purchase the best made sofa you can afford so that it will last you for years.
* Stay away from buying ‘trend’ furniture. It is sure to go out of style quickly. Instead purchase smaller accessories in trend colors that can easily be replaced.
* Your large furnishings, i.e sofa, should be a neutral color that will not go out of style. Color comes in later with chairs, pillows and accessories.
* Paint is an inexpensive way to update and refresh a room without having to change anything else. Paint offers the best choice for a makeover that’s high on style and low on cost.
* Mirrors are a girl and decorator’s best friend!
* Look for chairs and tables that can you could easily repaint into something you love.
* Console tables are a great buy! These tables look great and can be used in many different ways.
* Buy large art you love instead of odd, small shapes that will get lost up on the wall.
* Make sure every room has something in it that makes you smile when you walk in.
* You will have problems with a new home! That is just a small price you will pay to own a home.
* Remember that it is a work in progress. Be sure to enjoy yourself in your new home meanwhile with friends and family!
Any other suggestions my friends?
If you need help decorating your new home, contact me today!Share on Facebook