Would you like to know another of my favorite passions besides interior design? That would be landscape design!
I actually think a lot of us that love interior decorating, also love working outside in our gardens. Do you agree?
I wanted to share a few hints and tips that I have learned along the way that has helped me with my gardens and exterior designs:
* Use the same design principles outdoors as you would inside. Create a natural setting by planting in groups of 3, 5 or 7 plants, trees or shrubs. Planting one here and there does not make any impact visually.
* Be sure to plan your outdoor area’s function. How will the space be used? For a child’s play area? To grow vegetables? A place to sit and rest? Or maybe outdoor entertaining? Design an area with purpose.
* When planning an outdoor flower area, use your color knowledge. Do you want a soothing toned garden? Then plant a monochromatic scheme with the flowers all the same color such as white. If you like a jazzier garden, use contrasting colors such as blue and orange together.
* Texture is also important in outdoor design. Mix smooth, rough, soft, prickly, glossy and fuzzy. Foliage, flowers, bark and hardscaping materials all have texture.
* Use a specimen plant in your landscape as a focal point. Accent with low shrubs or groundcover.
* Line your container pots with sponges to save water. Use a unused, large sponge in the bottom of your container to help maintain soil moisture.
* Architecture. Repeat your home’s architecture in the garden. Repeat motifs, shapes, colors, patterns and building materials. You can bring architecture to the garden through patios, arbors, gazebos, fences and more.
* Be sure to show your unique style and personality in your gardens! Sculptures, architectural antiques, old-fashioned flowers or pink flamingos. Let people know that this is your garden!
I hope you have learned something new. Do you love to garden too??
Here are a few pictures of my garden that is a work in progress:
Look at the sky right after a rainstorm today:
If you need help decorating your space, contact me today.Share on Facebook