Remember how popular making terrariums were in the 70’s? They were so easy and fun to make:
Lately I have been seeing them again all over the place and do they look great!:
You can be so creative with them! I decided to give it a try myself because I love how they look and they seemed super easy to make. There is a ton of information online on how to build your own terrarium if you are looking for ideas and inspiration.
Here are the items you will need to build your own terrarium:
- Glass containers with or without tops. I spoke to someone at the florist store and he suggested not to use the kind with lids or covers if you are just a beginner because they are easier to take care of without having to monitor the terrarium. You have to make sure it does not get too moist (condensation will form on the glass, and mold and fungus might appear on the plants and in the soil).
- Gravel, sea glass or beach stones
- Activated charcoal- You can find at fish pet stores. I found mine at Wal-Mart:
- Plants –I found cute, miniature trees at a local garden nursery. The best place I found succulents for price and selection was at Lowes.
- Sterile potting mix
- Sheet Moss. I found mine at a florist shop.
- Decorative elements (optional)
* The first layer in the bottom of jar is the small gravel used for drainage.
* Next, I sprinkled a little bit of the charcoal over the gravel which also helps drainage and to control any odor that might occur.
* Then the next layer is the sheet moss. It holds everything in place plus it is great for holding moisture.
* Next is the garden soil. The plants and roots are not large so you do not need more than a few inches of a soil layer.
* Insert your plants. Try not to have them sitting against the glass or to be much higher than the container. Then put in a little more soil and tamp down to hold the plants in place. I finished mine by sprinkling crushed stone of top:
Then spray-mist with water lightly. That’s it!
To care of your terrarium, you only need to mist well once a week. Making terrariums can be quick, easy and doesn’t have to be expensive. And they look really cool and unique! They were so much fun that I made four of them!
Have you noticed seeing more terrariums lately? What do you think of them?
If you need help decorating your home, contact me today.Share on Facebook